Friday, July 8, 2011

HDL, LDL and total cholesterol levels

I have been waiting since last week for my lab results to come back showing my cholesterol levels. I was particularly interested in my HDL (good) cholesterol level. In 2007, before I began Weight Watchers, my HDL number was 23. This put me at high risk for heart problems. The doctor told me it could be raised to the goal number of greater than 40 through exercise, losing weight, and possibly medicine. I began taking medicine but since my insurance did not cover it, I quickly stopped the presciption. Since then I have been doing all of the above, except the medicine. I added fish oil supplements to my diet each day this past year. Last year my number was 40 and I wasn't sure how I could exercise anymore than I was at that point but I did increase my exercise, lost a little more weight, and am HAPPY-very Happy- to report that my HDL number is 46!! It jumped 6 points in one year!! My LDL number is 96-the goal is less than 130. My total cholesterol is a 156...pretty good!!

And it all began with going to that first WW meeting and walking 10 minutes on the treadmill!

Shout out to John Adamof--he is running his 5th marathon tomorrow at Grandfather Mt. Run well my friend!!

No comments: