Sunday, January 8, 2012

Yes, I'm a running coach!

Tomorrow begins a new chapter in my life. I will take two ladies under my wing and attempt to help them complete their first half marathon. I've known for a little while that I wanted to coach others to meet their running goals but was not thinking it would be so soon. I was approached by one of these ladies about helping her train for her first half marathon. Her friend decided she wanted to train as well. After much consideration, I agreed. We officially begin on Monday. I am excited to see how they do. I'm confident they will finish well...regardless of me. Yes, I will plan out their weeks of training but a runner must do the work themselves in order to see the fruit. I've seen that firsthand, but I also understand the importance of encouragement. There are times the training is tough but when you know your coach is behind you and rooting for you, it helps a lot. I have a lot of runner quotes and this one is a good one. "The body says quit, the heart says never." I want to help them learn, as I have and still am, that we can go farther and faster than our mind thinks. Heart makes all the difference. I believe running is as much mental as physical and sometimes more mental. I am a little nervous, but I know both of them and feel comfortable with them. So, to Karen and Nancy, I appreciate the confidence you have in me, the opportunity to begin my coaching career, and I promise my dedication to help you reach your goal!




On another note...my coach, Bobby Mack finished 2nd in the Bupa Great Edinburgh Cross Country race this weekend! Here is a podium picture. Cool flowers...even for the boys! Way to go Team USA and Sir Speedy!!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
Scarpa Women's Kailash GTX Lady Hiking Boot