Saturday, December 31, 2011
I'm back! And it hasn't been that long in between blogs...cool! As I reflect on this last day of 2011, I think of the things that have changed over the past year...good and not so... I gained a new nephew and niece via marriage! Love you Martha and Tater! Ran my first marathon at the happiest place on earth-Disney World Saw Will coach his last game as Varsity boys head basketball coach Inherited the cutest cotton ball ever! Love my Gabby! First birthday without my mama First everything without my mama... Joined a racing team Met some awesome people at the running store Realized I want to coach/help people reach their running goals Celebrated 19 years of marriage with my lovely hubby (who likes to cook for me) I'm sure I could name many, many more I wish you all a Happy New Year! I'm excited what 2012 has in store for this crazy thing called my life...I'm positive running will be a major part!!
Thursday, December 29, 2011
I guess it is time to do a little blogging. oops...sorry it's been so long. So, a lot has happened in the last 2 months.
- I finished the Scientific Principles class. Only 7 more to go to earn the Personal Training Certification from the USA Sports Academy.
- I completed the USATF Level 1 Certification class in early December and passed the exam. I am "official" if there is such a thing. LOL
- I also was approached by 2 ladies wanting me to help them train for their first half marathon. Me? Are you sure?...Yes, me they said. I will begin working with them on Jan 9. I'm very excited to see how this works out.
- The next 9-10 months at work are going to be super busy for me. Several large projects to get finished that will take several months. I'm not good at things that go slowly so it is a little stressful for me but it is what it is.
- And...the big thing, of course, is the marathon at Myrtle Beach on Feb. 18! This is what I think about most of the time, this is what my training has been focused on for the last several months now. It's been a radical thing. I've run farther and faster than I ever have. I'm reaching for 3:45...and that will mean a Boston Qualifier Time. "If you want something you have never had, you have to be willing to do something you have never done."
I must share my recent successes. My last 3 races have been huge PRs. Anywhere from 30 seconds to almost 2 minutes faster within the last year.
- Monster Dash 5K in October-22:29
- City of Oaks half marathon in early November-1:50:27
- Myrtle Beach 8K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving-38:01
I have a 22 miler on Saturday. And, yes, as crazy as it sounds to all of you, I am excited about that. I seriously love the training for a marathon. Those double digit miles, especially the 20 miler ones, are super fun--well, let me clarify, there is always pain involved but the satisfaction I get is well worth it. And now I have some cool compression socks to wear as I recover. Will and I are going to MB for the New Year, so I get to run at my favorite place--Ocean Blvd. We are going to move in about 8 years and semi-retire to this place. Oh yeah!!
How can I go further in this blog without saying thanks to my coach, Bobby Mack for helping me reach for the stars! He is pretty awesome!
I'll check back in sooner than later...
One more quote, "The minute you think of giving up...think of the reason why you held on so long."
On a more personal note: Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my mama's death. I am so much like her it's not even funny. Stubborn, strong-willed, determined, self-motivated, never take no or you can't do that for an answer-just to name a few. No wonder, we didn't always get along. haha Anyway, she died way too young and although she was an athlete growing up, she was never a runner. If she had been, I think she would have been a marathoner like myself. I know she is in Heaven because she accepted Jesus Christ as her personal Savior. I know all things are in the hand of the Lord but, I still miss her so much...Her Gabby girl (my Gabby girl now) helps me remember and eases the pain a little.
|Gabby aka Gabby girl and the Gabster|
|Linda Johnson Jones aka Ethel|