Thursday, July 7, 2011

Do What Y0U Can...

More on my hamstring issues...I didn't run until Tuesday and then only 4 miles. Okay, I know when I say "only" some of you snort and think...but, well...anyway, when one is used to running 6 or more miles at a time, 4 miles is an "only" so that's why it comes out like that sometimes...I had core class that evening and was able to do all of the exercises, except I cheated on a couple that threatened to pull on my hammy. Shh...I don't think BMack noticed. Ran 4 miles on Wednesday and could tell I was overcompensating and my gait felt very weird, which was causing my shins to hurt so I played the mental game and finally relaxed enough to run my normal gait, or close to it anyway. I think I was scared to run normally for fear I would pull it again. Today-Thursday, I felt the most normal since last week and eeked out 5 miles. I didn't want to push it too soon.

So, there are all these quotes in the weight room at school and one really stood out to me this week, "Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." John Wooden said this and it made me think that even though I am not running my normal mileage at the moment, I can still do my core work and work on that extra flab on my arms and run some low mileage. That's for now...for the future...I think, I may never qualify for Boston (Lord, please help Will if I don't cause he's gotta live with me) or run any faster than I do now (not that I'm all that fast, but I've never finished last in a race) but I can keep in shape and run consistently and enjoy it all the while.

When we compare ourselves to others it can cause disappointment, anger, and despair. Better to focus on what we are able to do and try to improve those areas. Easy to say, hard to do.

Stay focused and consistent this week. You have to decide you are going to make a change and then do it! Today is the day to begin the run...tomorrow never comes!!
Blessings to you!!

No comments: