Sunday, January 15, 2012

Caffeine or no?

I got my USATF Level 1 certificate in the mail. That was pretty exciting, I knew I had already passed the exam but getting the actual certificate was very cool. So, what is next? Well, I will continue to train the 2 women for their first half marathon (April 15) and then I will work on the Level 2 certification. That will take a couple of years to earn. I must have experience coaching track and field for that one. I am going to sign up for the next class in the Personal Training certification from the US Sports Academy after my marathon in February. 

For now I continue to work toward my goal of qualifying for Boston at the Myrtle Beach Marathon on Feb 18. I must admit that I am a little nervous. I have 5 weeks left until the race and I'm almost scared to put it in print, but my training has been going very well! I am feeling  really good, my interval workouts are great, my long runs are great too (of course there are always a few miles here and there that aren't so good but that's normal), my weight is steady, my diet is pretty good (I do indulge sometimes), and overall I am feeling good about it all. The only complaint I have is this waking up at 3am several times a week...I mean, getting up at 4am to go running is one thing, but 3? Really? I do try to make it up on the weekend though. Nothing seems to have suffered. And by the way, I am getting average of 6-7 hours of sleep a night-so I sleep even less than most of you. I just have a different schedule. I do get teased constantly by my friends and family about going to bed early but I know that means they love me. Haha!

I've been trying to stay away from caffeine over the last month. If you know me well, you know that I always have to go to the bathroom and even take medicine to help me not have to go pee so much. It's really a pain and so much more so when I am racing. It stresses me to think that just because I have a small bladder, I potentially lose 30 seconds or so off my time. Those seconds are important!! So, I have noticed a difference, not sure how this will translate in the race. When you gotta go pee, you just gotta go. I have it in my mind that I will stop at least once for the potty during the race and this has helped relieve some stress. Not much I can do about it...well, I guess I could wear a diaper like the guy did in the Disney marathon (go read that blog for a laugh) but I'm not ready to go there yet. LOL!

 I did find an app for my iPad2 that will locate bathrooms for me! :)

 Take care and get out there and run...or walk. Just do something.

USATF Level 1 Track and Field Coach




No comments: