Sunday, October 9, 2011

The lowdown since mid-September

Yes, I know it has been a while since I last wrote. If I say I've been busy, will you believe me? Isn't that what we all say, even though we know it isn't entirely true. But, here I am again. A short (maybe...) rundown on what's been happening in my world of running and other.

I had a birthday September 21 and turned 41! Hard to believe a year has already gone by since all that hoopla when I turned 40! Now, I know most women don't want you to know their age, but me, I don't care. I'm proud to be 41 and in the best shape of my life! Time for a short commercial--You can make a change today and begin yourself too! Remember, my first training entry was walking 10 minutes on the treadmill...Now 4 years later and 63 pounds lighter...here I am.

I ran a woman's only 5K the end of September and placed 2nd in the masters category and 6th overall. This was my first race last year in the master's category, so I was excited to run it again.

I am looking forward to the Monster Dash 5K at TAF on October 30. I want to dress like Mickey or Minnie Mouse but I also want a good time so...maybe I'll just dress like a TAF team member. haha

Fit-tastic has been going well and I look forward to the run group every Monday and Wednesday. We have slowly been upping the time and distance for the time improvement group and I am excited to see how they all do on October 30. Helping this group has also solidified in my mind that I want to work with beginner runners, etc in the future. I am planning to take a coaching certification class in December and following a passing grade on the exam, I will be a USATF Level 1 certified coach. This is a small thing but little by little I am trying to learn from those around me and have especially learned so much from my coach. Thanks BMack!

My marathon training is going well. I guess you can say, I am building my base mileage now and the official marathon training will begin after the Oct 30 race. Regardless, the marathon is pretty much all I think about. I am planning to run another half marathon the first of November (City of Oaks) and hope I have a better showing than Disneyland. I have been to a massage therapist a couple of times for my legs. My quads are tight and my hamstrings have been "paying the price" so to speak. It is a lot better and I surely wish I could run with no pain but if I ever had that happen, I would think something was wrong. haha! Oh well, it's only money right.

Aight, this brings you up to speed. I'll try not to be so long in between next time.
I appreciate you taking time to read my ramblings and for all of you that encourage me in this thing called running I'm doing.

A special thanks to my best friend, soulmate, and husband Will aka rach-cause he is a good cook. He is the one who has to put up with my OCD tendencies and listen to my running stories over and over and remind me that yes, I really am a runner. And, he is the one who cares the most and wants me to succeed. I'm glad he finally gave in to his true feelings about running and got a shirt that says it all, from his perspective at least...Running Sucks. He supports me 100% but for himself, he will never be a "runner". That's okay-one runner in the family is expensive enough and I do need someone to hold my stuff during the races anyway. Thank you Will!! And, by the way, it's time for a new pair of trainers. Just an FYI...:)

2 comments:

Nicole K. said...

Keep those posts coming. I'm enjoying them and they too encourage me to keep on running. I would love to run with you in a race some day but have no idea how on earth such a thing could be accomplished seeing we live in two different countries. I guess I will need to wait for the kids to grow up a bit. So maybe when we are in our 50's. :-)

The Dawn of Running: How Running Changed My Life said...

Thank you Nicole. I miss our good ole softball days at BJ!